Tuesday, March 1, 2011

We Probably Could End World Hunger... But....

I was listening to one of our local Christian radio stations the other day when I heard something that made me say, "Hmmm..." but not in a good way.

It startled me.

I missed the initial question asked by a listener, but from the answer it had something to do with how Christians spend their resources and whether or not it's "ok" to do things like the Music Boat Cruise, a Christian cruise featuring several Christian music artists. I turned up the radio, interested in how the host would answer.

It went something like this:

"I guess we all know that there is more that we can do, but it's not like any of us are going to have our water turned off just because there are people in the world without water. No one does that. I mean, my family is going to go on vacation this year and we'll do things we like to do. I think God looks at your heart and as long as we're doing something.... I mean if we don't sponsor any children, then that's a problem. But as long as we're doing something...."

And here's the kicker:

"I mean, we probably could end world hunger if we never did anything we wanted to do!"

That's the part where, as I mentioned before, I said, "Hmmm".

That's a far cry from what we see in Acts 2.44-47:
"And all who believed were together and had all things in common. And they were selling their possessions and belongings and distributing the proceeds to all, as any had need. And day by day, attending the temple together and breaking bread in their homes, they received their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to their number day by day those who were being saved."

So that begs the question, what if the Apostles had said, "Well, we probably could spread this good news, but then we wouldn't be able to do anything for ourselves. Besides, God looks at our hearts."

Don't think that would have led to the Lord "adding to their number day by day those who were being saved."

So, while I was initially startled that this came from the mouth of a DJ on a Christian station, my next thought was, "Isn't that the attitude I have?"

Maybe I don't vocalize it like this guy, but there are a lot of areas in my life that say it loud and clear.

What would God be doing through me if I weren't so selfish?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always good to hear from you! Please feel free to leave an encouraging word or constructive criticism. Both are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...