Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What If We Don't Die Young?

I'm a worrier. It's something I've struggled with as far back as I can remember.

For example, one time in fourth grade, a girl came into our class saying that she was late because there was a car wreck on her way to school and the traffic was backed up. I burst into tears because I just knew that that was my mom and that she was hurt and they had to rush her to the hospital and.... Yeah. I was nine and I worried that intensely. (By the way, it wasn't my mom.)


Anyway, the other day I tried a little "reverse worrying". It went something like this:

What if something bad doesn't happen to my family?
What if Richard doesn't get in a plane crash?
What if Elliott does stay healthy?
What if we are able to make first contact with a people group and they receive the Gospel?
What if we do get the rest of our support raised and go to the field next spring full time?
What if my family doesn't ever face tragedy?
What if I don't die young?

And the list continued. Why did I do this?

Because I realized that I have no control either way so it makes just as much sense to worry about "good" things happening.

And what if I do spend the rest of my life worrying and when I get to the end I realize that God was in control all along?

I have a feeling that would be a very embarrassing thing to stand in front of an all-powerful God who already promised He'd never leave us or forsake us and try to explain why I worried so, so much.



"Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13.5




"But none of these things move me, neither count I my life dear unto myself, so that I might finish my course with joy, and the ministry, which I have received of the Lord Jesus, to testify the gospel of the grace of God." Acts 20.24

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's always good to hear from you! Please feel free to leave an encouraging word or constructive criticism. Both are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...