Thursday, November 1, 2012

Alone in the City: Day Two

"If you aren't content with me here, what makes you think you will be content with me somewhere else?"

I've heard the Spirit speak that to my soul too many times before.

Discontent. Always look back, looking forward, wanting more, never appreciating the moment.
 
"But godliness with contentment is a great gain." (1 Timothy 6.6HCSB)
 
These words speak loudly to me.
 
Godliness--with contentment--is great gain. What good is godliness without contentment? Without it, my heart is only seeking godliness for the sake of gain (1 Timothy 6.5)
 
"Am I enough?"
 
He asks me this. And my reply is, "Yes! Of course You are enough!"
 
"Then why are you discontent?"
 
Touché.
 
My discontentment speaks much louder than my empty words, stating He is sufficient but living as though He isn't. Always longing for more--even "good" things. But missing the point--that He is enough. His plan is perfect. Not my preconceived notions of what He has for me.
 
We all like Philippians 4.13--I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me.
 
It's inspirational, warm, powerful.
 
But what about the preceeding verses that lead to Paul's bold statement? Those are hard.
 
"I don’t say this out of need, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content—whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need.................. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4.11-13 HCSB)
 
Contentment. No matter the circumstances--I can be content because I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
 
And if the Apostle Paul had to learn this, why do I think it will come naturally for me?
 
"I don't know how to learn this," I say, frustrated that I still struggle, fight, fail. Shouldn't this battle be won?
 
"How do I learn?!" I ask Him boldy.
 
"I'm teaching you now," He says.
 
I learn through the hard.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. thank you for your honesty. just the fact that you have these wars & battles within shows your desire to learn how to be content in Him alone, a lesson we ALL must be willing to learn. God bless you, praying for your ministry (not just in the future but right now what God is doing in and through you)!

    ReplyDelete

It's always good to hear from you! Please feel free to leave an encouraging word or constructive criticism. Both are welcome.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...